Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Hummus!




On Sunday, R and I had my dad and his girlfriend over for Father's Day. We took them for a bike ride at one of our favourite spots and then cooked them a barbecue dinner: Mengal style! We made skewered chicken, Israeli salad, and (of course) fresh hummus.

I'll admit that R took care of almost everything this time around. I tried to help, but he's become the barbecue expert in our household. It's just one of those stereotypical male roles, I guess. I plan on learning more about how to prepare the shish-kebabs (or, as the Israelis call them: shishleek), because the marinade looks really simple and they taste delicious.

Today I've got a recipe for hummus to share with you. I love warm hummus with pita bread! It's the perfect snack when you're too lazy to make a real dinner (which is pretty often during the summer). It also tastes great as a dip for those shishleek I was talking about.


Homemade Hummus

Ingredients:
Juice of 1 whole lemon
1 tsp lemon zest (optional)
2 cups cooked chick peas with a bit of their water*
1 cup tahina
3 garlic cloves
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tsp salt
fresh ground pepper

Directions:
1. Drop everything in the food processor and blend until creamy.
2. Enjoy. Best served warm with a pool of olive oil in the middle and paprika sprinkled 'round the outside.



*Canned chickpeas work for this too, but we've just started cooking dried ones in our slow cooker and it's a cinch. Just put 2 cups of dried chickpeas in 6 cups of water and heat on low overnight or all day (about 8 hours). No soaking required.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I like to add cumin and Green Tabasco to mine. But I like to add cumin and Green Tabasco to pretty much everything.