Saturday, January 3, 2009

Sweet indulgence.


Well, I finally caught the flu that's being passed around and I've spent most of the past two days being as inactive as possible while still trying to be productive. Today I'm going through my hard drive and cleaning things up. Lucky for you folks, I found one of my favourite cookie recipes while I was rooting around.

These having nothing to do with anything related to my kosher cooking journey, but I thought that I'd share them anyway since they're delicious.



This recipe is adapted from More From Magnolia: Recipes from the World Famous Bakery and Allysa Torey's Home Kitchen, but I tried to healthy it up a little bit by eliminating the shortening, using 1/2 whole wheat flour and subbing 1/2 of the refined sugar with raw sugar. R had been trying to avoid sweets but I always want to share my food with him, so I try my best to make him feel less guilty about eating it.

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 c whole wheat flour
1/2 c all purpose flour
6 tbsp Dutch process cocoa
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

1/2 c margarine (at room temperature)
1/2 c white sugar
1/3 c raw sugar

1 large egg (at room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla

1/2 c chocolate chips


METHOD:

1. In a small bowl, mix together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Set aside.

2. In a large mixing bowl, beat margarine and sugar until sorta fluffy. Add egg and vanilla. Mix well.

3. Stir in chocolate chips.

4. Drop rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.

5. Preheat oven to 350.

6. Bake for 10-15 minutes.

They'll seem undercooked when you take them out (like, if you poke one you'll leave a finger sized crater), but don't worry because they get harder as they cool. Let them cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer them with a spatula to a wire rack or some waxed paper and let them cool for another 10 minutes.


To see more of my food photography, visit my website: Robin Sharp Photography

No comments: